Dr. Cheryl Soref
Position title: Research Specialist
Phone: (608) 320-2160
Orthopedics and Rehabilitation
Ph.D. Neurobiology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Duke University
B.S. Genetics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Using undifferentiated stem cells to derive a variety of cell types for 2D and 3D tissue modeling
- Soref, C. M. and W. E. Fahl. 2014. Optimum Topical Delivery of Adrenergic Agonists to Oral Mucosa Vasculature. Pharmaceutical Research. [Epub ahead of print]
- Soref, C. M. and W. E. Fahl. 2014. A new strategy to prevent chemotherapy and radiotherapy-induced alopecia using topically applied vasoconstrictor. Int J Cancer. [Epub ahead of print]
- Soref, C. M. and W. E. Fahl. 2014. A New Topical Vasoconstrictor-Based Strategy for Prevention of Oral Mucositis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 117(4): 454-61.
- Burke, J. M., and C. Soref. 1988. Topographical Variation in Growth in Cultured Bovine Retinal Pigment Epithelium. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 29(12): 1784-1788.
- Winey, M., L. Mathison, C. M. Soref, and M. R. Culbertson. 1989. Distribution of introns in frameshift-suppressor proline-tRNA genes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene 76: 89-97.
- Mathison, L., M. Winey, C. Soref, M. R. Culbertson, and G. Knapp. 1989. Mutations in the Anticodon Stem Affect Removal of Introns from Pre-tRNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molecular and Cellular Biology 9(10): 4220-4228.
- Hao, Y., C. M. Soref, C. G. Gerke, and F. Wong. 1992a. The Visual Pigment Gene Family and Distribution of Photoreceptors in the Pig Retina. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 33(4): 1004.
- Soref, C. M., and F. Wong. 1994a. Characterization of an Opsin Promoter Element: Ret 1. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 35(4): 1703.
- Di, Y.-P., C. M. Soref, Y. H. Zhao, and R. Wu. 1999a. Characterization and regulation of an airway epithelial cell-specific novel gene which belongs to the short-chain alcohol dehydrogenase/reductase (SDR) gene family. Am. J. of Respir. and Crit. Care Med. 159(3): A37.
- Soref, C. M., Y.-P. Di, Y. H. Zhao, and R. Wu. 2000a. Characterization of the expression of a novel airway epithelial cell-specific gene with a putative retinol dehydrogenase activity. Am. J. of Respir. and Crit. Care Med. 161(3): A259.
- Soref CM, Di YP, Hayden L, Zhao YH, Satre MA, Wu R. 2001. Characterization of a novel airway epithelial cell-specific short chain alcohol dehydrogenase/reductase gene whose expression is up-regulated by retinoids and is involved in the metabolism of retinol. J Biol Chem. 276(26): 24194-202.
- Soref, C. M. and R. Wu. 2002a. Identification of an hRDH-TBE Ortholog in the mouse genome. Am. J. of Respir. and Crit. Care Med. 165(8): A70.
- Peebles, D. D., C. M. Soref, R. R. Copp, A. L. Thunberg, and W. E. Fahl. 2012. ROS-Scavenger and Radioprotective Efficacy of the New PrC-210 Aminothiol. Radiat Res. Jul;178(1): 57-68.
- Soref, C. M., T. A. Hacker, and W. E. Fahl. 2012. A New Orally Active, Aminothiol Radioprotector-free of Nausea and Hypotension Side Effects at its Highest Radioprotective Doses. Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology & Physics 82 (5): e701-707.
- Copp, R. R., D. D. Peebles, C. M. Soref, and W. E. Fahl. 2013. Radioprotection and Toxicity of a New Family of Aminothiol Analogs. Int. J. Radiation Biol. 89 (7): 485-492.
Awards & Honors:
Grants and Fellowships
- Individual National Research Service Award, NIH (2000-2002).
- American Lung Association Research Training Fellowship (1999-2000)
- Postdoctoral Training Grant in Cardiovascular and Neurophysiology (1997-1998)
- NIH Predoctoral Training Grant, Duke University Program in Cell and Molecular Biology (1989-1992)
- 1994 Member of Sigma Xi
- 1986 Gamma Delta Sigma
- 1985 Golden Key National Honor Society
- 1982 Sigma Epsilon Sigma
- 1982 Phi Eta Sigma